Monday, November 24, 2014

Write time





Since I was a little girl fashioning books with hard spines from cardboard and glue, I've wanted to be a writer. I want to see my words in print. I want my friends, family and complete strangers to read about my journey. I want people to laugh, cry and identify with my story. I've wanted it for so long. For the first time in my nearly 43 years of life I'm taking what I hope to be tangible steps towards making that dream a reality.

My cousin, Jerrie and I have been taking writing classes from the local community college. It has been a time of growth and learning. We have reconnected with our passion to write and our desire to spend more time together.

From Nancy Canyon we have learned to be free of mind and spirit. To seek out  our most true and authentic selves. To identify transforming times in our lives and then take our readers on our sacred journeys with us. Nancy's creativity spills over in her writing, photography and paintings. She draws you into her world of magic and makes you believe you can create that magic too. She is an inspiration of the truest kind.

Dawn Groves made us laugh from the moment we walked into her class. She gave us the do's and don'ts of blogging. She made awful looking blogs to drive home the idea that less is more if you want your blog to be taken seriously. I enjoyed every informative minute of her class. I loved her insistence that we get up and walk around often. She gave us valuable information about moving the body and writing and how they go together to make you a more alert and productive writer. Her story of her first treadmill/desk had me in stitches. Dawn is down to earth and honest. She truly cares about her work and her students and I came away with direction and guidance for my fledgling blog which is just what I was looking for.

Susan Colleen Browne put form to the memoir writing process. The process that seemed too large to consider she broke down into doable bites. We made 'bubbles" on big sheets of paper and wrote our 7 biggest life events and then we branched off from there. Eventually we narrowed our life events into individual stories that could be told in memoir fashion.  She was so full of information and advice and stories I could have stayed longer than the slated 4 hours. I am looking forward to reading her memoir, Little Farm in the Foothills.

Jerrie and I have had exceptional teachers and we are so encouraged by their direction and guidance. We have renewed excitement and commitment to our writing. We share writing prompts and favorite writing books and of course our love of buying journals to write in! It's an exciting time for us. We are looking forward to the next class!






No comments:

Post a Comment