Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Fat Happens, Fit Takes Work

Part 1
I am a personal trainer. I'm not supposed to get fat. No one said as much, but I know it. It's what trainers know. Like the old saying, " Don't hire a bald barber or a toothless dentist", it just makes sense that a fat trainer isn't following her own advice.

What began as effortless weight loss the six months following my husbands departure, evolved into eating my way through the sadness and stress for the six months after that.

When I began to date my future wife, I chalked my less than stellar eating habits up to "the happy and fat phase" of a new relationship.

Six months after my first wedding anniversary I stood in front of a full length mirror trying on new workout tops. I turned to the side to check out the fit around my back and there sticking out in all its chubby glory  was my back fat. Only glorious it was not. How long had it been there? Why hadn't I noticed it until now?

Once home I shut myself in the bathroom, stripped down to my birthday suite and stepped gingerly onto the scale. How bad could it be? I peeked through one squinty eye and nearly fell off the scale. I had gained not five or even ten but sixteen pounds!

It's not like I didn't know what to do to get rid of the fat. It's that somehow I'd lost my will, my determination.

I had once been so focused.

Now I drug myself out of bed about ten minutes before I needed to meet my running partner.  I found myself cancelling on him frequently. As for weight lifting, well, that had become a far off memory... Now the heaviest weight I lifted was me, which was sixteen pounds heavier...


1 comment:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. I especially agree with the "happy and fat phase of a relationship." I won't even tell you what I gained after I started dating Nathan, not to mention after my surgery, and after I got laid off. So many reasons to gain weight, but there's only one good reason to lose weight: to feel better about yourself!

    ReplyDelete